Monday, June 9, 2014

Balboa Park

I took a break from camera repair one weekend to take my oldest son to the High School Student Shakespeare Festival here in San Diego at Balboa Park. Of course most of my time was spent watching young people perform scenes and monologues, but there was a bit of down time in between things and then waiting for winners to be announced. So I took the opportunity to use the Yashica Electro 35 GSN I had loaded up with Expired (2011) Neopan SS. There are probably more opportunities for 'street' photography there in the park than you could shake a rangefinder at, but I'm not much for photographing people. I know, I know... I'm working on it, but very slowly. So while avoiding the crowds, I took a few shots of some of the amazing architecture we have in this 100 year old park.

This is 'the Prado'


This is the Botanical Building and reflecting pool. I have some thoughts on the composition of this photo that I might share in another post.


A detail of this Botanical Building dome.


Here is another common sight at Balboa Park. Many artists comer here and paint, photograph, draw, dance, make music, perform, etc. So aside from the 17 museums, 9 performing arts venues, 19 gardens, and so much more, there are sidewalk artists everywhere to just enjoy.

I hope that if you are ever in Southern California that you will stop by Balboa Park and see why San Diegans love it so much.

Tech Notes:

  • Film was exposed at EI 100 on a bright sunny day
  • Development was done in Caffenol-CL, standing for 70min
  • Epson V600 scanner
  • Dust spotting in PS CS5.5

No comments:

Post a Comment